Thursday, July 30, 2020

Love & Pi

This morning I watched a Spanish movie called "Vivir Dos Veces". It is about a 70 something Mathematics Professor (Emilio) who is diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. So he sets out to find his childhood love (Margarita) whom he hasn't seen in over 50 years, just to to keep her memories alive. On this journey, he is accompanied by his reluctant daughter, cute and quirky grand daughter and his semi-idiotic son-in-law. During the car ride from Valencia to Navarra, his daughter asks him what it so special about Margarita, then Emilio says 

"Ella es.....como el nĂºmero pi. Me gustan tanto las mathematicas, porque son pura logica. Los numeros son racionales, predicibles. Pero, de repente, ne medio de tanto armonia, aparece el numero pi. Un numero, misterioso, infinito, Es un numero que esta vivo, crea su propio camino sin seguir...patrones establecidos. Y eso hace que las matematicas, ademas de logica, tambien sean magica. Eso era Margarita para mi. La magia." 

This roughly translates to - 

"She is....like the number pi.  I like Mathematics so much because it's pure logic. Numbers are rational, predictable. But, suddenly, in the middle of this harmony, is the number pi. A number that is mysterious, infinite. A number that is alive, it creates its own path without following established patterns. That's what makes math, as well as logic, partly magic too.That's what Margarita was to me. Magic." 

The mathematician in me would find a dozen things wrong with what was said about Pi. But the eternal romantic in me would give a standing ovation to whoever wrote this script. This is just so amazing. Reminded me of my own personal number Pi. Out of all the finitely many numbers (just going with the flow here ladies, absolutely no disrespect at all), i stumbled upon her when I wasn't even looking. Just like the number pi, she was a complete mystery to begin with. Just like the number pi, I could know only a little about her. Just like the number pi, she will always remain a lot more mysterious. But unlike the real number pi (pun intended), I wont get to know her anymore. Instead I would take my talents else where and maybe unlock the secrets hidden in Navier-Stokes Equations perhaps and win that Fields Medal. Only four more years left,  Navier-Stokes, here I come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment